Trees add beauty, wildlife value and wind protection to our homes and farms. Trees also clean the air, reduce heating and cooling costs,and add value to your home.
Planting a tree is a significant investment in money, resources and time. Proper selection is key to achieving your planting goals.
There are many trees to choose from, but you can’t go wrong with a native tree from Forrest Keeling. Our patented RPM technology helps trees grow, flower and fruit twice as fast as other trees on the market. The all-natural RPM method also yields unmatched survivability. All these benefits come from RPM’s unsurpassed lateral root mass development.
While fall planting is best, you can plant your tree any time the soil is workable. The six key steps to proper tree planting are:
- Give ’em room! Choose your tree’s location based on its ultimate mature size and its sun and water needs. Dig the hole slightly larger than the root ball.
- Ready your tree. Lay the tree on its side, tap or roll the container and gently remove the root ball. Score the root ball and cut any long or circling roots.
- Prepare the soil. Loosen the soil for the new roots. Add amendments if needed.
- Stand up straight! Position your tree in its planting hole and make sure it’s upright and straight. Tilt the root ball and add soil underneath to stabilize.
- Get a good start. Backfill with loosened soil, adding water as you go. Firm the soil to eliminate any air pockets.
- The grand finale! Add three to four inches of hardwood mulch around the tree but away from the trunk. This helps maintain proper soil moisture and temperature and reduces weeds.